eating well and looking good for less

Friday, April 2, 2010

Two days, two shopping trips.

Wow, sometimes I'm so not-on-this-planet.

First trip: Pathmark! More frozen veggies, plus free mustard.

DSC_0242

Paid: $12.74
Saved: $24.97



The night before, we'd gone to Pathmark. I grabbed a copy of the Super Saver book, but I didn't look through it in the store, because it was late and I wanted to get in, get my stuff, and go home. Once I got home, I realized that French's Spicy Brown mustard was going to be a freebie. Ugh, how could I miss that? I love spicy mustard. Had to go back.

I went back to a different location. I grabbed eight boxes of frozen vegetables, four mustards, a few heads of broccoli, two bags of spinach and a couple of pounds of really nice tomatoes from the markdown rack, and two boxes of Peeps for the Easter baskets. When I went to the self-checkout, I noticed that my coupons were only doubling to $1. It only made a 40c difference in my bill, but I used the same exact coupons at the other location the night before, and they fully doubled then, so I stopped by customer service to ask what their policy was and if it had recently been updated. They told me they doubled to a dollar, and that it wasn't a recent change, but weren't sure if that policy was set by the individual store. I was so sure that I had gotten fully doubled at that location before, so I thanked them for their help and left even more confused.

When I got to the car, I checked my receipts. Here is what I discovered. Every time I shopped at that location, I've used coupons with either a 50c (or less) face value, or coupons with $1 or more face value. With one exception, the only time I've used coupons between 50c and 99c is at the fully doubling location. I did finally dig up the one receipt from doubles-to-$1 Pathmark that confirmed what they told me -- they only double to $1 and I somehow failed to notice this. How did I coincidentally and unintentionally manage to use the 50-75c coupons only at the other location for months on end? That's so weird.

Second trip. Whole Foods. This is just plain funny. How much food could I get at any other store for $30? An awful lot, right? Probably $120-150 worth of food? At WF, I got three packages of seitan, two bags of chips, one bag of pretzels, four bottles of tea, two almond milks, and some vegetable sushi for my lunch. And the tea and almond milk were free!

DSC_0244

Spent: $29.69
Coupons: $8.40

I saved a little more than that, because several of the things I purchased were sale items, but the non-sale price doesn't show on the receipt so I don't know what it was.

*sigh* Whole Foods, so expensive. I made baked barbecue beans the other day and we've been dying to mix the leftovers with shredded seitan and have barbecue sandwiches. Mmm. I tried making my own seitan once, and it did not turn out as good as the storebought stuff. For this bbq sandwich you definitely need that stringy texture that the storebought kind gives you. I headed out to WF today to pick some up.

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, on sale for $1.99, store coupon for $1, man q for $1, free almond milk. I've never had it so I'm excited to taste something new. The Terra Chips were 2/$6 and one of the bags had a peelie for buy 2 bags of chips, get three Steaz teas for free, plus I had several coupons for $1 off any bag of Terra Chips. Great, chips to go with our bbq sandwiches! Unfortunately, when I got home I realized that one of the bags of chips wasn't included in the 2/$6 sale so it cost me $4.69 (well, $3.69 after q) instead of $2. I think the one with the coupon was the full price one, though, so it works out, I guess. Whatever, I'm just gonna tell myself that.

But wait! The flakiness does not end there. I printed out the buy one get one free coupon from the Honest Tea website yesterday, so I was all excited to get my favorite variety of tea, Peach Oo-la-long. I picked out a 16 oz bottle, brought it up to the register, stood in a long line of Easter shoppers for probably ten minutes, put my food on the conveyor belt, and... realized that the coupon was for a 16.9 oz bottle of tea, not a 16 oz bottle. And also that buy one get one free means you get TWO of them.

Where IS my mind these days? If I go through that WF coupon book and find a coupon for seitan, I am going to officially give up trying for the rest of the week. TGIF.

Someone in WF complimented my coupon binder. :)  I really like my coupon binder! And to think, I almost left it in the car, thinking that I would have no need of it in the store, but went back and got it, just in case. I used seven coupons on thirteen items!

No comments:

Post a Comment