eating well and looking good for less

Friday, January 28, 2011

It's a good thing last week was a slow coupon week...

because I have not left the house since last Saturday. Or Friday? I don't know; it all runs together. I know all my loyal readers (I have loyal readers, right? Maybe just one? Hello? Is this thing on?) wondered where I was! Over the weekend, while clearing out some clutter from the basement, I must have pulled something in my upper back, because suddenly I discovered that I couldn't turn my head without excruciating pain. The next day, we all came down with some kind of horrible stomach flu/fever/food poisoning/I don't know what thing, so we were basically confined to bed for the next couple of days. We're still not fully better, even now. Then there was a big snowstorm, followed by some cold wet hail, followed by an even bigger snowstorm, so there was a lot of shoveling, which was not the most fun thing ever because the amount of nutrition I've taken in over the last week has been minimal, and the whole walking around thing keeps on giving me trouble. And here it suddenly is, Friday and a week later.

You know what the saddest part of all this is? (Well, sad in a First World Problems sort of sense, in that it's not really sad at all.) In all this week, we've barely even eaten from the stockpile at all, except for cereal. Everything I made for the freezer is spicy, and even thinking about it still sets my stomach churning. My stockpile is all baking supplies and canned pumpkin and pasta and canned tomatoes and mayonnaise. You know, real food. There's nothing premade.There's nothing that I can even bear the thought of eating. Even eggs. *barf* I have a whole bunch of chicken parts that I was planning to use to make stock, but I didn't get around to doing it yet, so I didn't have any of that. (Note to self: make stock before the weekend is over. Today, if possible.) And do you know how much those little single-tube packages of saltines and bottles of ginger ale cost at the convenience store? Holy crap. Clearly, Sick People Food is an area in which my stockpile could use some massive improvement.

I really need some vegetables and some cat food and litter, but the roads are terribly icy and impassable without 4WD (or at least they were yesterday when Mr Man took the car out for a spin around the block and took fifteen minutes to get back). I think I'm going to attempt to get out today, anyway, even if it's just to Food Basics or the produce market, for some fresh fruits and veggies.

Usually our Red Plum inserts are delivered with the upcoming week's circulars on Thursday. We didn't get them yet, I suppose because of the snow. I'm getting all itchy waiting for them, especially for that Rite Aid ad! I hope they won't just skip the week, because I hear it's supposed to be a pretty good one for coupons. Two Red Plums, that's always a nice thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment