eating well and looking good for less

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Words do not really express how ridiculous I find this shopping trip.

I didn't particularly want to head out to Rite Aid tonight, but the kids drank all the milk today, and if there's no milk in the morning when my niece gets here, there may be bloodshed. I wasn't sure where I was in regards to Resolution Rewards (spend $100 on qualifying items, get a $20 Up), since my tally did not print on my last receipt, so I figured while I was out, I would check around the store and see if I could find any of the items which are included in the promotion. Turned out my favorite store had a lot of them, and when I checked out, my Resolution Rewards total was at $94.91. Yes! I didn't think I was going to be nearly so close, since last time the tally printed on my receipt it was at $46.08. I was pretty surprised to learn that Ups weren't subtracted from the total, like they are with wellness points. I could have gone back into the store to pick up a few more bags of chips, but honestly, that's kinda embarrassing. So I went to another store a mile up the road, instead.

Is this not the most laughable set of items to purchase, ever? Or, as my cashier said, "It's a before and after!" Yesssssssss... *hangs head in shame* Oh! The milk isn't in the picture! I bought a gallon of milk, too, and then put it in the fridge before taking the photo. It was the whole point of going out!

First store: 3 bags of TGIF Potato Skins, four cans of chili, two boxes of Zantac, one bottle of Maalox, gallon of milk. Paid $7.34 OOP, $10 in Ups, $5/1 Zantac x2, $5/1 Maalox. Everything except for the milk added to my Resolution Rewards total, which was pretty much why I bought it. Well, that and the fact that all the food was free. Earned back $12 in Ups. I could have used more Ups and paid less OOP, but all of my Ups are $1, and that's a lot of little tiny sticky pieces of paper to count and spread out all over the counter and they take a million years to scan in and anyway, I was earning $12 back so whatever.

Second store: needed to get $5.09 worth of items included in the promotion to earn my $20 Up! But they didn't have some of the items I wanted, and I somehow managed to lose my shopping list, then refind it in my purse (which is not large) as soon as I left the store. How does that happen? Anyway. Four bags of chips, one bottle of Maalox. Paid 72c OOP, used $4 in Ups and $5/1 Maalox coupon. Earned back four $1 Ups for the chips, and got my $20 RR Up, for a total of $24 Ups earned in this purchase.

Therefore, tonight I spent a total of $14 in Ups and $8.06 in cash, and earned back $36 in Ups, for a profit of $13.94. On a heartburn party in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment