eating well and looking good for less

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We're gonna be eating Special K for months...

Why yes, we did go to Rite Aid again today. I wasn't planning on going again this week, but it snowed (again!) and the world is covered in white, so my niece didn't come over today. We watched a little tv, shoveled a lot of snow, played outside for a while, and drank too much hot chocolate, but I'm afraid that even so, my little guy, who is sort of sniffly and coughy and therefore grumpy anyway, started having some serious cabin fever. Not even Cars could keep his attention, and he loves Lightning McQueen as much as any self-respecting almost-four-year-old could. Poor kid is miserable. He needs to sleep, but since he believes that sleep is when adults have big parties and eat all the candy we've been hiding away, he won't do it.

So, I swept the snow off the car and we drove to Rite Aid to return a toy he'd purchased with his $20 Gift of Savings certificate. It was this super cool electric car race track, but unfortunately, it was broken. I'd been meaning to take it back, but the box was huge and I kept forgetting to grab it from under the bed... We returned the race track and got back $10.79 in cash for it. Then he got to use the money to pick out some new toys for himself. I forgot about my 10% discount, so he actually has another dollar or so to spend, oops.

Here's what we picked up today.
Two boxes of original Special K (reg. $4.79, on sale B1G1 free)
One box of chocolate Special K (same as above)
One box of blueberry Special K (same as above)
one gallon of milk ($3.51, no discount)
Maalox, 12 oz bottle (reg $5.49, after 10% wellness discount $4.94)
Crayola gel paint (reg $4.99, after discount $4.49)
one little green model car (reg $4.99, after discount $4.49)

Used $5/1 Maalox coupon, two B1G1 free Special K coupons. Total, with tax, after coupons was $13.15. Taking into account the $10.79 I received for returning the broken toy, which, if you recall, was Gift of Savings money in the first place, my OOP was $2.36.

I also received back four $1 Ups for the Special K, and submitted the Maalox for a SCR of $2, meaning I earned back a total of $6, for a profit of $3.64 on this purchase.

I had wanted to pick up a few more Tylenol Precise items, but they were, unsurprisingly, sold out of those, as well as of the Motrin PM stuff. Another store in the area might have some, but as useful as heat patches are, I'm not sure I want to put the effort into driving around looking for them. The Tylenol brand patches don't direct the heat into your body as well as Thermacare does, I don't think. Also want to buy more Maalox, but that was the last bottle at the store, so I'll have to go somewhere else for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment