eating well and looking good for less

Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18, 2010. $1.67 worth of groceries.

No picture today. The Man wanted a celebratory dinner of pizza, and I have all the ingredients except for cheese, so I headed out to the supermarket for some mozzarella.

Pathmark: $1.67
Saved: either $5.10 or around $14.50

one lb mozzarella: $2.99
two packages of marked down green peppers: $1.50 each

The regular price on the green peppers was an extortionate $3.49 a lb (seriously, what?!?), and I bought just under 3.5 lbs, so the regular price on those would have been somewhere around $12. For eight peppers. Yeeeeeeeeah. So my receipt says that I saved $5.10, but I think the cost of the peppers should be in there too, because I could have bought the same amount of peppers for $9 more.

Therefore I figure I saved 90% today. Take that, whoever it is who would be pocketing the profit from my shopping trips!

Weirdness on my receipt. Unless they have changed the laws very recently, PA does not charge sales tax on food. In addition, unlike in many states, coupon savings are not taxable. So if the shelf price for a razor is $10 and we have 8% sales tax, I would normally have to pay 80c on that. If, with coupons, I get it for free, I don't owe any sales tax. When I handed over my $4 catalina, either the computer system or the cashier deducted 32c worth of tax, that as far as I can tell, I did not pay in the first place. I am uncertain if this was supposed to happen or if she made a mistake. If it was a mistake, I guess I'll check in with customer service next time I go there -- I like my pennies as much as anyway, but I am not into ripping off the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment