eating well and looking good for less

Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 21. $10.50 (or $0) worth of CVS stuff.

DSC_0210Or $0 worth of stuff, however you want to look at it. Total savings: $81.07.

We got a $25 gift card for filling a [free] prescription at CVS, so my husband and I have decided upon a challenge. How long can we keep on spending CVS' own money at CVS, without actually spending any of our own? Today we spent $10.50 of that gift card balance, and are up $2 in ECB from the start of the day. Honestly, the OOP is a little higher than it could have been, because I had two $3/$15 and a $4/20 that were all set to expire, and I wanted to use them. So:

First transaction.
Spent: 32c
Saved: $30
ECB earned: $1

three AirWick i-motion scented oil kits, $4.99 each.
one caramel candy, 33c

I had more coupons so I could have bought more but shelf clearing is sort of obnoxious and I don't even have THAT many rooms in my house, soooo... Anyway, easy to use the $3/15 coupon here. I was 3c under the required $15 purchase, so I bought the caramel. (Yum!) $4 off coupons for each air freshener brought the price down to 99c, and the $3/15 coupon took care of the rest. Earned $1 in ECB for using my own bag.

Second transaction.
Spent: $4.94
Saved: $19.65
ECB earned: $5.99

one Crest Pro-Health mouthwash
one Colgate Total toothpaste
three bags of dried apricots
four bags of dried cranberries
one caramel candy

This is the transaction where my OOP was a lot higher than it could have been. If I hadn't bought the dried fruit, it would have been 63c. But I had that $3/15 and needed to spend another $7 to use it here, and I actually needed the dried fruit. I don't regret the purchase, but I do so love those under $1 transactions! So oh well. I only had a sucky 35c off coupon for the toothpaste, but a nice $2 off for the mouthwash.

Used $1 ECB from previous transaction, $4 ECB from last week, and earned back $5.99 ECB.

Third transaction. All Easter candy!
Spent: $5.24
Saved: $31.42

five Cadbury eggs
three bags of peanut butter M&Ms
three bags of Hershey's Kisses
three bags of Reese's peanut butter eggs

Used $1/3 and $2/3 coupons on the bagged candy, plus the $5.99 from the previous transaction, plus the $4/20 CVS coupon, and earned back $6 in ECB for next week.

I used my gift card to pay all this, so I now have $14.50 left on the GC and $6 in ECB, for a total of $20.50 of CVS monopoly money left.

No comments:

Post a Comment