eating well and looking good for less

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

March 22. $30.49 worth of groceries and HBA

Once again, no pictures, because I was miserably tired and passing out hungry by the time we got home, at which point I thought it was a great idea to rearrange the cabinets. I... don't even know what I was thinking, seriously. But my cabinets do look nice.

First store, ShopRite. Did not go the way I wanted it to go. Why do I continue to go there? Frustration. Nothing that went wrong was their fault,but other local stores run the same sales, are less crowded, and have better coupon policies.


Spent: $15.37
Saved: $15.50

one 5 lb bag Gold Medal flour, unbleached all purpose
2 lbs unsalted butter
3 lbs mozzarella cheese
two packages Mission Tortillas

This trip sucked. First, they didn't have any of the sale deodorant that I wanted, which was the whole reason I went to ShopRite. The shelf was totally cleared out. Secondly, one of the packages of mozzarella cheese was the wrong variety, so it wasn't on sale, which I discovered six hours later while looking over the receipt. If I return it, it's just going to get thrown out, so I'll keep it. Thirdly, they refused to accept my Gold Medal printable, because it was missing the numbers under the bar code. I know it was a legit coupon because I printed it myself. No clue if it's supposed to be that way or was a printer error or what was going on there. The good thing about this trip was that a Coupon Fairy left one of the $1/1 Mission Tortilla coupons right on top of the package, so I was able to buy a second package with a q. We use tortillas all the time, so I was really happy about that.

Second store: Acme. Went to Acme to pick up the deodorant that they didn't have at ShopRite.

Spent: $8.62
Saved: $28.12

six Suave deodorants
two 1 lb jars of Emerald peanuts
one Gillette bodywash
Pampers Cruisers, jumbo pack

See, now that is more like it! The deodorants were 19c a piece, and the rest was from their fantastic markdown section at the back of the store. The jumbo pack of diapers was only $3.75, after the $2 coupon I had in my binder. I don't need that much deodorant or the body wash; I bought it all with the intention of donating it. My sweet kid is out of diapers during the day, but seems to sleep a lot longer if he wears one at night, so we grabbed that pack of Pampers at a third of the regular price!

Third store: Pathmark

Spent: $6.50
Saved: $8.76

two boxes Huggies wipes
two boxes Pull-Ups flushable wipes
two 3 lb bags apples, from markdown section

Wipes on sale, $2 a box. 50c off Huggies wipes q, store doubles, final price $1. Huggies sent me some $1 Pull-Ups wipes qs just a few days ago, so those were also $1. Once again, markdown produce savings do not show on the receipt, so are not reflected in savings.

Because of the SR problems, my SR total was completely unimpressive, but I still spent $30 and saved $52 on the whole grocery trip. This brings my grocery spending for this week to $183, my savings to $264, and my percentage saved to 59%.

No comments:

Post a Comment